Warbunka - BRGA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 108 on 2019-05-14, 20:53
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics

Painting Advice

5 posters

Go down

Painting Advice Empty Painting Advice

Post  IASGATG 2010-06-05, 21:52

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this post, but there isn't a painting/modeling forum.

Well I've decided to try and make my models not look like they've just been hit with a spray can (thanks Steve ¬¬) and I have some questions about paints. Well, at the moment, just one question, but a dozen more are bound to follow.

What is the point of the foundation paint range? Are there meant to be a coat between the base coat and actual painting, or as a friend of my suggested, simply a one layer and you're done deal?

I've been reading up on some painting advice and it seems that the reason I've been going wrong so much is because I'm using a paintbrush. I assume the trick is to base coat the model, then just dry brush from the darkest shade all the way up to the desired colour, then slightly beyond?
IASGATG
IASGATG
LVL 3 Dragon Curry Afterburn

EXP : 5511

Character sheet
Class:
Race:
HP:
Painting Advice Left_bar_bleue1000/1000Painting Advice Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)

http://www.catpictures.co/

Back to top Go down

Painting Advice Empty Re: Painting Advice

Post  WarBunka-Charlie 2010-06-06, 13:46

I'm not a 100% sure what the foundations paints were desighned for but I mainly use them as a base colour, for example my bad moon orks are mainly yellow so the yellow I use (Iyanden Darksun foundation paint) I plonk on first then from there to highlight I add a little bleached bone to the mix and keep adding as I progress the highlights.

Though my tips are to all ways water down the paints a little as they are too thick for my liking (I use warm water with a touch of washing up liquid).

and easy effects is to use washes but as you progress there are many more techniques to learn.

I'm trying to have a go at NMM (non-metallic metals) where you use normal paints to give it a metallic look.

Do you want me create an advice forum? if you guys have any other ideas of what this forum need please PM me or email me at warbunka@gmail.com

WarBunka-Charlie
Admin
Admin

EXP : 6485

Character sheet
Class: Ranger/Rogue
Race: Gwarl
HP:
Painting Advice Left_bar_bleue7500/10000Painting Advice Empty_bar_bleue  (7500/10000)

http://warbunka.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gonetoground 2010-06-07, 11:39

foundation paints are indeed useful for their coverage as the contain more pigment,and cover well even when thinned. I mainly use the lighter colour ones to get a good even and quick coat over a black undercoat, such as the yellow that has already been mentioned.

you can start from a dark shade and work up lighter with either a drybrush or layering technique- which then you can add an 'edge' highlight to. Or you can start with a midtone, shade the recess with a darker colour (using washes or thinned paint) then highlight the top most areas with a lighter colour of the midtone.

For example painting a cloak grey- start with codex grey (several thinned coats) shade the recesses or folds of the cloak with 1:1 codex grey and chaos black (thinned to consistency of milk) when dry take codex grey and add some skull white or you could use fortress grey and highlight the edges or most prominent areas of the cloak. Simple but effective.
when using washes made from paint (not the washes sold by GW-which are great btw) I add a dab of Klear acrylic polish (you can buy this in Bognor town- robert Dyas) this helps the wash flow better into the recesses.

Steve
gonetoground
gonetoground
Admin
Admin

EXP : 5541

Character sheet
Class: Farseer/warlock/Badger
Race: half-eldar
HP:
Painting Advice Left_bar_bleue1000/1000Painting Advice Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)

http://wraithsightminis.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  IASGATG 2010-06-24, 18:15

The horrors of ebay - any personal advice in removing paint from metal and plastic models. I know it's harder to get it off plastic than metal. I was thinking of just carefully filing away the layers of paint for the metal ones and as for the plastic. Hope it isn't too think and whip out the spray paint.
IASGATG
IASGATG

Character sheet
Class:
Race:
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post  WarBunka-Charlie 2010-06-24, 21:38

I heard Detol is great for plastic ones, I will have to double check it but I think you fill a bucket or tub with detol, leave your minis in there for over 8 hours (I probably reconmend over night) and then with hot tap runnung scrub the paint off with an old paint brush.

With metal same technique but with white spirit I suppose, just do;t use the spirit with the plastic ones... Unless you are coecting a nurgle army lol

just found a link to a vid on youtube all so with an example of this technique

Removing paint video

WarBunka-Charlie
Admin
Admin

EXP : 6485

Character sheet
Class: Ranger/Rogue
Race: Gwarl
HP:
Painting Advice Left_bar_bleue7500/10000Painting Advice Empty_bar_bleue  (7500/10000)

http://warbunka.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IASGATG 2010-06-24, 22:32

Thanks a lot, time to get this terrible paint job and replace it with my own terrible paint job.
IASGATG
IASGATG

Character sheet
Class:
Race:
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post  gonetoground 2010-06-25, 10:07

nitromore paint stripper for metal. Put that model in a glass jar poor some of this gloppy stuff on. Sleep. wake up. New shiny metal model. Word of warning tho this stuff is more dangerous than napalm, so use with caution. Swear by the stuff though.
gonetoground
gonetoground
Admin
Admin

EXP : 5541

Character sheet
Class: Farseer/warlock/Badger
Race: half-eldar
HP:

http://wraithsightminis.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Warmaster Benji 2010-06-25, 16:57

ive found nail polish remover works well on metal models, doubt it would work on the plastic ones though, probably melt them! a nice cheap alternative though! specially if your other half doesnt use hers!
Warmaster Benji
Warmaster Benji

EXP : 5486

Character sheet
Class: SPESS MEHREN!
Race: SPESS MEHREN!
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul 2010-06-25, 20:50

Hi, The foundation paints are a high pigment paint as the person above mentioned. They were originally sold as a 'one coat' solution to painting miniatures ( GW staff used to say you could paint the yellow straight over black undercoat...)
They are pretty good paints and I like to use them if I'm dipping miniatures. Also have a look at Foundrys paint range as they are very good. They are also designed for their 3 stage painting technique which I love. If we are allowed to paint in the club I'd be happy to run through some painting techniques if anyone would like it.

Paul

Paul
LVL 1 Geek Halfling
LVL 1 Geek Halfling

EXP : 5160

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down